Thursday, November 17, 2011

getting my knitting groove back & the purl ridge scarf

Oh my poor dusty knitting needles. My yarn, banished to the back of my closet. Something happened along the way that made me lose my knitting mojo.

It actually happened awhile ago, I think right before I found out I was pregnant with JC. For some reason or another, I stopped knitting. I had a not-so-awesome pregnancy which I think put me in a bigger funk. I didn't really want to do anything, let alone knit. Even though you'd think knitting away on little baby clothes would be what I would be most interested in. Eh, not really. I managed to knit one sweater for JC while I was pregnant, but I didn't finish it until JC was two months old.

And then of course, I was a new mom. Between learning how to take care of a person, breastfeeding every two hours, changing diapers at least twelve times a day and getting sleep in two hour increments, I didn't have time for hobbies. I finally became inspired to knit JC's Halloween costume last year. I also knit these monsters for JC's first birthday present from me. But, besides that, the knitting was few and far between.

I actually started this blog in hopes of sharing my finished knit projects along the way. I just haven't because I haven't been knitting anything! The blog has taken over all my free time! Isn't it ironic? Don't you think?

So, long story short, the cooler weather has made me start to long for my knitting. I decided to start small. I wanted to make something that wouldn't take too long, I'd be able to use right away and used yarn that I already had. So along came the Purl Ridge Scarf.


purl ridge cowl1


First of all, I have to gush about this yarn. It has been one of my absolute favorites to work with, Madelinetosh Tosh Vintage. The colors that this yarn comes in are amazeballs, it's so soft and has beautiful drape. This is actually left over from the romper that JC is wearing in my old blog button. If you've seen that floating around.

purl ridge cowl opened

purl ridge cowl doubled up


Sorry for the not-so-great pictures, me and the mirror in my dining room had to be the photographer today. If you're interested, you can check out all the project specs for the scarf over here on my ravelry page. I'm also going to add a ravelry button over on the ol' sidebar if you ever want to see any of my current and/or past projects.

With that, I think I've gotten my knitting groove back. I have a couple works in progress that I haven't finished and I've always been kinda weird about NEEDING to finish any unfinished projects before I move on to new ones. But, I think that is also what makes me not want to knit so I'm going to give myself the freedom to start new projects if I want and not feel guilty about it.

So check back, because I WILL be knitting more and I WILL be blogging about it.

12 comments:

  1. You're such a good knitter. I only learned to knit about 6 months ago, but it's definately not the hobby for me. I may take it up again in later life when I'm not on 24 hour baby duty. You're right, it's so hard to keep up hobbies while being a mama at the same time.
    Visiting from terrific thursday blog hop x
    http://beingmama.com/
    http://ohsoprettylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE that color! I think that's such an awesome hobby - can't wait to see more pics of your new projects : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, so impressed.. that's a good looking scarf. stopping by from terrific thursday blog hop. I am now your newest follower through GFC. hope you can stop by my new blog and follow back :)

    MiaB from www.mamamiasheart2heart.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I'm ur newest follower from hop via GFC fb and twitter hope u can follow me back http://queensnycmom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful scarf, and I love the color. I crochet but never learned to knit, but like you I sort of lost my crochet mojo. Perhaps some of your knitting creations will help me get into the mood to crochet. I hopped over to become your newest GFC follower, and would love if you dropped by my blog at kittycrochettwo.blogspot.com when you get a chance. Have a fantastic week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty scarf! It must be so nice to know how to knit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. New follower! Wow, I wish I knew how to knit. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE your scarf! I wish I could knit SO badly!! Thank you for the sweet comment on my page, unexpected or not, a baby's a baby and what's not to love about that? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I am now following you from madamedeals.com please come by and follow me back.

    Thank you
    Amee

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving that scarf. I have been looking for a good scarf pattern for this winter and have the perfect yarn to use. I'm the same way about finished a project before moving on to the next one. Can't wait to see more posts about your projects! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. it looks so great! i knit a little, but i've been crocheting for so many years it is hard for me to make the switch over ;) haha! so, i'll let you inspire me to use my knitting needles more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for getting back in the groove. I started knitting a lil while ago and haven't managed to knit anything but a scarf that I made to wide and to short that is still on the needle waiting to be finished but I'm getting inspired to get back in the groove like you. And you're totally right, blogging times up more time than we think.

    Can't wait to see some more finished products. :)

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! If you have a blog, please leave a link or your url to your blog so I can be sure to visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...