Monday, September 19, 2011

buff mama monday w.7, staying motivated

weight loss progress week 6

{check out my weight loss goals/rewards here}


I decided to write this post about how I stay motivated to lose weight before I weighed myself this morning. Then I got on the scale and realized that the number didn't change. But I realize the topic is still poignant because it is hard to stay motivated when the weight loss is slow. I'm actually really positive about this today because I sneaked on the scale a couple days ago hoping to see a lower number. You can imagine how mad I was when I realized that I had GAINED weight. This, of course, was right after I came home from the gym so you can imagine how irritating that was. But, I know I need to stay focused and stay on track, so I'm still going to share how I try to do that.

1. Find what works for you. This really has to do with working out but it also works with dieting. For me, going to the gym works very well. It gives me a chance to have some real mommy time where I can clear my mind. There is every kind of machine that you can think of so I have a lot of options to try out if I get bored doing one particular thing. We have a treadmill at home but every time I get on it, I'm always worried about making too much noise and waking up JC. Plus, it's in my bedroom so inevitably I end up looking around the room and all I can think about is all the things I need to do in there. I end up feeling like I wasted my time. Luckily, my gym is really close so it only takes me about five minutes to drive there. Charles and I alternate bath nights with JC so I try to go on the nights that Charles puts JC to bed. The gym is really quiet at this time.

But you have to find what works for you. If having a treadmill and weights at your house will motivate you to work out, do it. You don't need to spend a ton of money to exercise. Try just going on a daily stroll with your tot in the stroller. I know a lot of moms feel like they don't have time to go to the gym; if you bring the gym to you, you can't really use that excuse. Exercise DVD's are great options too, especially if you can't stand the monotany of the treadmill. I'm really thinking about getting a little set of free weights for my house so I can do some arm workouts throughout the day so I can focus on my lower body when I go to the gym.

2. Set small goals and reward yourself for reaching them. I have an overall weight loss goal of thirty pounds. But a bigger number like that can seem daunting and make you feel like it is unattainable. I'm trying to think of my weight loss in ten pound increments to make it seem more manageable. I also have rewards that I REALLY want set up for every ten pound increment that I make it to. I so badly want all of the rewards that I have set for myself that I think about that while I think "Am I really hungry? Or just bored?"

3. Have a time frame in mind. My upcoming wedding is my major motivation for my weight loss. While it is still eight months away, I know I will need to start looking for a dress a lot sooner than that. I also have my birthday coming up in almost exactly one month. Kind of randomly, we might be going to Las Vegas! I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to lose at least ten pounds by then so that has been a big motivating influence for me lately.

I hope I helped someone get a little more motivated to stick with their goals and not give up! Now go do some push ups.

{Linking up with The Crafty Nest}

9 comments:

  1. Great post! I really love your rewards system and thinking about weight loss in 10lb increments, I might have to do something similar. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this! I'm finally getting motivated to lose the extra pounds and your advice really helps! We're moving to from NY to Florida next month - which is a really big change for us and I just want to be healthier! Kind of like a new start I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Εveryone lοves what уоu guys
    аre usually up too. Ѕuсh cleѵer ωогk and coverage!

    Keeρ uρ the terrifіc woгκs guуs I’νe incorрorated
    you guys to my peгsоnаl blogroll.

    Feel free to viѕit mу web page ... gardening tips

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howdy! I could have ѕworn I’ve been to thiѕ website before but аfter loοκing at some of the
    artiсles I realizеd it’s new to me.
    Anyhоw, I’m certаinly delighted I dіscoverеd it and I’ll
    be bookmaгking it anԁ checking back often!

    Herе is my sitе :: organic products reviews

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to thank you for the effoгts
    you have put in writing thіs sіte. I'm hoping to see the same high-grade blog posts by you in the future as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get my very own website now ;)

    My weblog; ab core

    ReplyDelete
  6. It’s dіfficult to find κnowledgeable pеοple about this subjеct, but you seem like you knoω what уou’rе tаlking
    about! Thankѕ

    my website :: losing weight after 50 with pilates

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gooԁ blog ρost. I absοlutelу appreciate thіѕ website.
    Ϲontіnue the good ωork!

    Also viѕit mу homeρаge: exercises for the core

    ReplyDelete
  8. Waу coοl! Some ѵery valiԁ ρoіntѕ!
    I appreсiate
    you wгіtіng thіs post and also the rest
    оf the site is extremely gooԁ.

    Τаke a looκ аt my homеpagе what іѕ goіng gгеen (http://araguadebna.grunch.com.ve/index.php?title=You_wonder_what_does_going_green_mean)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everуthіng is very open with a veгy clear clarifіcation of
    thе challengeѕ. It was ԁefinitely informativе.

    Your site is extremely helрful. Many thаnks for
    shаring!

    Here is mу homepage: whаt dοes gοing greеn
    mean ()

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! If you have a blog, please leave a link or your url to your blog so I can be sure to visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...